16 May 2023
Certifications for Organic Cotton & Bamboo Fabrics
Certifications play a vital role in ensuring the authenticity and sustainability of organic cotton and bamboo fabrics. Here are some prominent certifications to look for when considering these fabrics:
Organic Cotton Certifications:
1. Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS): GOTS is widely recognized as the leading certification for organic textiles. It sets strict criteria for the entire textile supply chain, including cultivation, harvesting, processing, manufacturing, and labeling of organic fibers. GOTS requires that at least 95% of the fibers in a textile product must be certified organic. This ensures that the raw materials used in the fabric are grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and other harmful chemicals. The remaining 5% may include non-organic fibers, but they must meet certain ecological and social criteria. All of Le Petit Society's organic products are GOTS-certified.
2. Organic Content Standard (OCS): The OCS certification verifies the presence and percentage of organic content in a product. It tracks and traces organic raw materials from the source to the final product, providing transparency and credibility for organic cotton fabrics.
3. USDA Organic: The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) organic certification ensures that cotton is grown without the use of synthetic pesticides, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and other prohibited substances. It verifies compliance with strict organic farming practices.
Organic Bamboo Fabric Certifications:
1. Oeko-Tex Standard 100: While not specific to organic bamboo, the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certification is relevant for bamboo fabrics. It ensures that the fabric has been tested for harmful substances and meets human-ecological requirements. Look for products labeled "Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified" to ensure the fabric's safety.
2. Organic Content Standard (OCS): Similar to organic cotton, OCS certification can also be applicable to organic bamboo fabrics. It verifies the presence and percentage of organic content in the product, providing transparency and assurance of organic practices.
3. Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification: Although primarily associated with sustainable forestry, FSC certification can also be relevant for bamboo fabrics. It ensures that the bamboo used in the fabric comes from responsibly managed and harvested bamboo forests.
It's important to note that while these certifications contribute to the credibility of organic cotton and bamboo fabrics, not all certified products may carry the exact same certifications. Different manufacturers or brands may choose to obtain specific certifications based on their priorities and region-specific requirements.
When shopping for organic cotton or bamboo fabrics, look for labels or information provided by the manufacturer indicating compliance with recognized certifications. This way, you can make more informed choices and support products that meet stringent organic and sustainability standards!